Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Up on the Roof



“When this old world starts getting me down,
And people are just too much for me to face—
I climb way up to the top of the stairs
And all my cares just drift right into space …”
Up On The Roof – Goffin and King 1962
From now on it’s the roof for me when parking. Even in the rain.
There are not many outside free access urban vantage points to beat the top floor of a multi-storey car park.
This is Newarke Street Car Park, Level 10, the roof.
It’s currently my car park of choice for visits to Leicester City Centre.
I best like it empty.
I like it full of parked cars too.
I never take the lift.
Before a heavy meeting I always take five minutes or so by the margins looking out one way or another.
It sets me up proper for what might be coming and raises my mood.
Same after but one can’t linger as much as your car park ticket won’t raise the barrier to get out beyond ten minutes or so of paying.
That said there’s always time for at least one verse and chorus of “Up on the Roof” thrown up and out onto the Leicestershire breeze.
Today it’s not The Drifters running around my head but Kenny Lynch

“On the roof, the only place I know
Where you just have to wish to make it so
Let’s go up on the roof
Up on the roof”
Paul Conneally
Leicester 2013

No comments: